When thinking about pest problems in Ventura County, California, you probably imagine species such as spiders, ants, and wasps. However, other nuisance species can get onto properties and cause some big problems, including birds.
Since birds are a common sight in urban and suburban areas, most people don’t even notice them or think too much about them, but some bird species can pose health risks and cause property damage when they start to nest around area homes and businesses.
The main nuisance birds in the area are pigeons, woodpeckers, sparrows, and seagulls. To help you identify these different species, here is a brief guide to what they look like:
- Pigeons are one of the most frequent pest birds. They are light grey with two dark stripes on their wings.
- Woodpeckers: These birds are notorious for pecking holes in wooden structures. They are usually black-feathered with red crests on their heads.
- Sparrows: This is a small species that is often found near parking lots or other populated places. They are rather noisy and have white bellies and reddish heads.
- Seagulls: While typically found near coasts, seagulls can also be found inland. They are grey and white with webbed feet.
Regardless of the species, birds can cause big problems for property owners.
What Makes These Birds Such A Problem?
While some people enjoy feeding these birds, this can create problems. Many of these species pose health and safety risks. Pigeons especially are known for causing property damage as their feces build up. This can lead to the destruction of machinery and siding, and it can also pose a slip-and-fall hazard, especially for businesses.
Woodpeckers can also cause property damage when they peck holes in decks and outbuildings in search of places to nest or food to eat.
But, the biggest issue with nuisance birds is that they can pose health risks to you and others around you. Many birds spread illnesses such as Avian flu and E. Coli. Also, the feces of some birds contains histoplasmosis, which is a fungal infection that can cause respiratory issues. Birds can also carry parasites which then spread further diseases.
And, if all of that wasn’t enough, birds, such as sparrows and seagulls, are loud and can make it difficult to sleep or find peace and quiet.
How Can You Prevent Nuisance Birds From Coming Around?
Because of the many problems pest birds in Ventura County can cause, it’s a good idea to take steps to keep them away. The best way to prevent these birds is to take steps to discourage them from nesting around your property.
Here are some specific measures you can follow:
- Remove bird feeders and discourage feeding birds on your property.
- Reduce the areas where birds can nest by regularly trimming bushes, trees, and shrubs.
- Keep pigeons and other species from nesting by placing anti-roosting strips on rooftops and eaves.
- Cover all trash cans with lids as species such as seagulls can be attracted to food scraps.
- Limiting nesting areas and reducing factors that attract birds can help minimize the likelihood of them settling in on your property.
How Can You Remove Nuisance Birds?
If you’re already dealing with nuisance birds around your home or business, trying to remove them can seem like a nearly impossible task. Luckily, there’s one simple way to get rid of these birds without stress. All you have to do is contact the experts at Ventura Pest Control.
With over 60 years of experience, you can trust our technicians to handle pest birds and other wildlife. Just contact us to get a free quote or to learn more.