Argentine ants are a type of ant that is native to South America. These ants made their way to California in 1907 and have become a significant problem in many parts of the country since arriving here. They are a particular problem in Ventura, California.
These ants are a nuisance because they invade homes and businesses for food. They also compete with native species of ants, which can cause problems for the local ecosystem. Another problem with these ants is that Argentine ants will bite when provoked. While these bites are not severe, they can be problematic for both people and pets.
If you have Argentine ants in your home, it is crucial to contact a professional pest control company to get rid of them. Companies that offer pest control in Ventura County have the experience and expertise to get rid of these ants quickly and effectively.
Do You Know How To Identify Argentine Ants?
Argentine ants are tiny, dark-colored ants measuring about 1/8 inch or 3.5 mm in length. These ants are very active and are often seen crawling around in large numbers. An Argentine ant colony on your property can easily reach over a million individual ants. If you see ants in your home that match this description, you likely have Argentine ants. These ants usually live near food sources, such as kitchens and garbage cans. Argentine ants are also attracted to sweet liquids, so they may be seen crawling near sugar bowls or cans of soda.
Why You Should Avoid Argentine Ants
Argentine ants in Ventura County have become a real nuisance for residents and business owners alike. These ants invade homes and businesses in search of food and compete with native species of ants for resources. This can cause problems for the local ecosystem and make life difficult for residents.
Are you wondering what Argentine ants eat? They are just like us – they love all kinds of food. They go for sweet stuff when they can, but they're also happy to chow down on meat, eggs, oil, and fat. When searching for food, they leave pheromone trails everywhere, not just from the nest to the food source. This ensures they don't waste time visiting the same area twice.
Argentine ants can also be dangerous to humans and animals. They tend to bite people and animals when provoked. These ants are a real problem for the community, and taking steps to control them is crucial.
Argentine Ant Prevention Tips Everyone Should Know
Argentine ant control and prevention is the best way to keep these ants out of your home.
- Seal all cracks and crevices in the foundation and exterior walls: Caulk everything you can to keep these ants out. You should also install door sweeps on all exterior doors and window screens on all windows.
- Clean and keep trash sealed in containers that ants cannot access: To eliminate access to all food sources, you should also be sure to immediately clean up any spills or crumbs. Rinse bottles and cans before recycling, and clean sugary spills on kitchen countertops.
- Eliminate their food and water sources: Remove any potential sources of food and water, such as pet food, bird seed, potted plants, and standing water. Pet food is also a significant attractant to pests, so don't leave pet feeding bowls out overnight.
- Keep borders dry and vegetation-free: The perimeter of your home's foundation can be protected with gravel or stones. Mulch and plants provide good nesting grounds for ants, and ants nesting near your home are more likely to wander inside.
- Trim trees and shrubs away from the house: Argentine ants typically travel along tree branches and overgrown vegetation to reach homes. By trimming back vegetation, you can create a barrier that will deter them from entering your home.
- Reduce moisture sources: A leaky faucet, irrigation pipe, or sprinkler head attracts ants. Check for leaks around all potential water sources, and make repairs accordingly. Properly ventilate any crawl spaces or moist areas to keep moisture at a minimum.
- Use bait stations: Try to put out bait stations in strategic locations along ant pathways and nest sites such as your garden. Be sure to place baits in areas where children and pets can't reach them easily. Baits don't work immediately, so you'll need to exercise patience while waiting for results.
You may be able to prevent Argentine ants in your home by following these steps, but they aren't guaranteed to be effective. Getting rid of ants is best done by a professional pest control company.
Why You Ought To Consider Professional Argentine Ant Control
If you have Argentine ants in your home, it is crucial to contact a professional pest control company to get rid of them. Companies that offer home pest control in Ventura County have the experience and expertise to get rid of Argentine ants quickly and effectively.
We understand pests. And more importantly, we know how to get rid of them. Since 1959, Ventura Pest Control has provided Ventura County homeowners and businesses with reliable, effective pest control solutions.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about our professional pest control services.