In California, we have both subterranean and drywood termites. While these species have different habits and behaviors, they both can cause immense amounts of damage to any Ventura property.
- The most common species
- Build their nests in damp soil and need high moisture to survive
- They feed on decaying and water-damaged wood and other cellulose-based products like books
- They build mud tubes to travel between their nest and food source
- The reproductive week can like tens of thousands of eggs during her lifetime
- Build their nests inside the wood and other cellulose-based material and don't need moisture or soil to survive
- Prefer dry wood to feed on
- They are efficient when it comes to consuming wood.
Neither of these species is pests you want on your Ventura property as they put your family and pets at risk.
How Are Termites In Ventura Dangerous?
Termites aren't known to transmit diseases, but they can trigger allergies. However, the danger of termites comes from the property damage they do. So, if you are wondering if it is bad to live in a house with termites, or are termites harmful? The answer to both of those questions is yes.
A termite infestation can weaken your home's structure and make daily life dangerous to your family and pets. No one wants this to happen, which is why you should know the warning signs and how to prevent them.
What Are Warning Signs Of Termite Activity in Ventura?
There are several common warning signs of termite activity that you should look out for. These signs include:
- Discarded wings that are dropped by swarmers once they land.
- Mud tubes around the foundation of your home.
- Peeling paint and drooping drywall.
- Damaged wood or wood that sounds hollow.
- Droppings, which resemble pepper.
- Termite swarmers are reproductive members who leave their current colony to search for a new nesting site. They are often confused with flying ants.
If you want to prevent termites from taking over your Ventura property, you should:
- Remove water-damaged wood from your home and property.
- Remove dead stress, stumps, leaves, and other yard debris.
- Ensure gutters and downspouts are directing water away from your home's foundation.
- Use rocks around your home's foundation rather than wood chips and soil, which retain moisture.
- Use dehumidifiers and ventilation throughout your home to lower humidity, especially in basements, crawl spaces, and attics.
- Inspect lumber, wood furniture, and other items before bringing them into your home, as this is a common way drywood termites infest a property.
- Inspect and repair cracks in the foundation and exterior walls of your home.
While these tips will help reduce the possibility of a termite infestation, you might still face one because these pests are incessant. If this happens or you want assistance with preventing termites, call for professional help.
Who Can Help Me With Termites In Ventura?
If you do spot signs of termites, the best thing to do is contact the professionals right away. Experts like us at Ventura Pest Control can assess the entire infestation and understand what is causing the problem and what damage has occurred. Letting Ventura Pest Control take care of the termites on your Ventura property is the safest and most efficient way to get rid of an infestation and make sure they don't come back again.
With treatments that specifically target both subterranean and drywood termites, we are sure to have the right services for your unique problem. Give us a call at Ventura Pest Control to learn more about how we can help you with termites. Our warranties termite control solutions are the way to go!